I forgot to update when I painted the third side of the house!
After my experience with the paint on the table, I moved back to the basement and set up my workspace.
I had to use a lot of painter’s tape to get that drop cloth to stick to the wall, but it was worth it.
The painting went pretty well. For fun, I timed each coat to see how long it would take to dry. One hour and thirty minutes, in case you’re wondering. However, I ran into some unforeseen issues that tripped me up.
The Paint Isn’t That “Sticky”
I know. Paint isn’t supposed to be sticky. That would be awful. But, it should stick to the walls. That said, I am using craft paint, so that might be part of my problem. Check it out.
Yeah, that’s paint on the cloth (it’s a Swiffer). Now, this was when I wiped right after I sanded, but I wasn’t expecting this. It could just be the sanding, but, I’m not so sure.
When I worked on the rest of the dollhouse, I had the same problem when I used the same type of cloth. And I hadn’t sanded.
This isn’t a big deal to me. I know I’m going to have to add a top coat. But it was kind of interesting.
Of course, as I was wiping things down, I ran across other problems.
The Paint IS Sticky (But Not the Right Way)
So, when I was doing something else with the dollhouse (I can’t remember what!), I brought it up from the basement and wiped it down with a clean, microfiber rag.
It’s a good cloth, so, I figured it would do a good job dusting things off.
I was wrong.
Here’s what the side looked like after I wiped it down, and then a close up of the front.
That’s a whole bunch of fuzz (dust is my guess), caught on the wood. It’s not painted on (phew), but it’s sticking to the clapboard like crazy.
I wiped a few more times and even blew it. Here’s what happened.
Yeah, it’s still stuck.
I gave up and got the vacuum cleaner and took care of it that way.
Sure, the sanding job isn’t the greatest, but I didn’t think it was that bad. Glad I’ve got another coat to put on. And, it looks like I’m going to be researching how to get lint and fuzz of the clapboard. So far, no luck. Everything I can find is about keeping lint out of freshly painted stuff.